Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rock That Interview: The Follow Up Email

So you got that interview? Congrats! Now the job is yours for the taking if you just follow the advice of our brand-new section "Rock That Interview"! 





When you shake the interviewer's hand at the end of the interview they might even say "Keep in Touch." Even if they don't, you should ALWAYS send a follow up email within 2 DAYS. And preferably 1 day. Unless of course your interview is on a Thursday,  then you must send it by the end of the day on FRIDAY.  

If you really want to impress them, send it from the parking lot as soon as the interview is done. It'll be the first thing they see when they sit down at their desk. 


Below is an example of a follow up letter I sent after an interview:



Dear John Snow,
Thank you so much for making the time to meet with me on Wednesday about the Production Intern position. I sincerely enjoyed meeting with you and learning more about MTV.

I can now more clearly visualize how I may fit in this position and in the office as a whole. I was particularly pleased at the prospect of being able to sit in on the editing process and give my opinion on which clips might speak to MTV's younger demographic. I feel that my past internships and production experience would allow me to go above and beyond the job requirements you stated in the interview and on entertainmentcareers.net


Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your time. I also strongly suggest you give House of Cards a chance, in my opinion it is just as good as Orange Is The New Black. 


Sincerely,

Austin Carroll



The typical follow up letter should go as followed: 




Part One: Thank them for meeting with you. Say you enjoyed your time and gained something from the experience. You're an intern after all, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE LEARNING.



Part Two: Explain how you can now better see how you fit there. Show your interest. Then mention something you were especially excited about the prospect of doing. Briefly reinstate your qualifications.

Part Three: Invite them to contact you and that you look forward to hearing from them. Thank them again for their time. Then mention something your interviewer talked about in the interview (preferably something personal). You can see above that I obviously talked about Netflix programing in my interview.


That's all there is to it folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment